When we moved to our house there was a yellow-tinted wardrobe in our loft that the previous owners had left. For the longest time we used it to store junk and other misc. crap that we wanted out of site. After making a Goodwill run, we decided to convert it to a funky storage unit where I can store all my fabrics and quilting supplies.
Below is a BEFORE and AFTER picture. :)
How we did it:
1. I started by finding a fabric print that really caught my eye and that would inspire my creativity. The print I chose is by Alexander Henry, I bought it from one of my favorite local quilt shops (the Quilting Loft) in Ballard. I only needed 2 yards to cover the doors.
2. I measured the doors and cut the fabric, adding an inch to each dimension to allow enough fabric to fold and nail to the inside of the door. I folded the extra inch of fabric in half around each dimension, pressing it with an iron to hold the fold in place. Then my husband used a brad-gun to upholster the fabric to the door.
3. Prior to hanging the upholstered doors, we painted the cabinet. I went to Lowes with a swatch of my chosen fabric to find a good match; the smallest can of paint was just enough to apply 2 coats.
4. My husband installed shelves inside the wardrobe for my fabrics and peg board on the inside of each door for hanging all of my quilting rulers and thread, as shown in the photos below.
Shown in the 1st picture below, my husband cut the shelves in a triangular shape for storing the ironing board . It's nice having a place to hide it!
Check out the knobs on this baby! ;) I ordered them from Home Depot; I never thought I'd be so excited to receive knobs in the mail. It was the finishing touch to this project AND unfortunately the most expensive piece :-|