6.16.2011

Summer Love Tutorial


 Materials (57" x 50.5" quilt top):
  • 1 jelly roll (you will have plenty of leftover strips!)
  • 1 solid white jelly roll
  • 3 yards backing

Step 1 - Trim the strips from both the colored and solid white jelly roll to the exact measurements represented in the cutting diagram below. (Note: the measurements below are the exact cutting measurements of the unfinished pieces). Since a jelly roll strip is 2.5"x44" long, in some cases you will need to sew a couple strips together and then trim it to get the measurements shown below.

[Click image to Enlarge]
Step 2 - Using a 1/4" seam allowance, sew all the pieces in each row together, and then sew all rows together.

Step 3 - Add the borders. Sew enough strips together until you have these measurements:
  1. Left and right borders - 46.5" long. Sew these on first.
  2. Top and bottom borders - 57" long.
Baste and quilt. Sew together six leftover strips to create the binding. A binding tutorial can be found here.

That's it! Simple and absolutely beautiful! Thank you for checking out my tutorial!

Happy Quilting!
p.s. if you make my pattern, I'd be thrilled if you shared it on my Facebook page!!

19 comments:

  1. I love the colours and what a simple buy lovely design

    Love Marge x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Adorable! I'm thinking solids too :) I'm totally into aqua and gray right now...hmmm. What a great tut, thanks Jera!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love, love, love this one!!!! Great work! I like simple too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. WOW...I LOVE this design, it is simple, but it makes a bold statement. Thank you so much for sharing the tut with us. Happy Friday :) Amy

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my goodness, I am in love with this quilt and it is now on my "to do" list!! Thank you soooo much!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is a great design Jera - simple but very effective!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. How wonderful. What a great idea!! Thank you for posting the pattern!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a wonderful design. I can think of all kind of wonderful combinations--even a scrap red with the white background. Thank you!

    Deb from clutteredquilter.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is sew heartfelt...great design, easy, can be done with sew many collections..I am thinking floral would be nice too...great work

    ReplyDelete
  10. I really love what you've done with this quilt. It's just awesome. Thank you for the tutorial.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I discovered your lovely heart quilt at moda's bakeshop and was curious to see your blog. So I'm here, looking around. I am not yet a very experienced quilter but have done already some quilts. I'll certainly do your heart quilt with jelly rolls made out of my stash. Thank you for this tutorial.
    Greetings from Switzerland
    Barbara

    ReplyDelete
  12. The BEST tutorial I've seen in blogland. Thanks for your precision and the pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  13. A very nice heart, Your blog is wonderfull.
    Greetings from Kirsten in Denmark.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love love love!!!!! Questiion??? Would I be able to make this quilt in a smaller size 36 x 40???? I thought Summer Love would be a great little baby girl quilt!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thank you for sharing your design. I have just completed my top using reds for the heart. The quilt is intended to be a gift for my husband's cardiac surgeon. My husband had open heart surgery in November 2012 and a quilt seemed the best way for me to try to show my gratitude.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Libby, thanks for the comment. :) You're very welcome for the pattern! What a meaningful and heartfelt gift (no pun intended). I'm sure he'll love it!

      Delete
  16. I just finished this quilt! I'm a brand new quilter so I made lots of mistakes, but I love how it turned out: http://www.dejongdreamhouse.com/2013/04/heart-quilt-for-marissa.html

    ReplyDelete
  17. Really cute, cute, cute--lovely original design!

    ReplyDelete

 

©2010 Quilting In The Rain. design by poshdaisy.com